Monday, July 26, 2010

Saying goodbye to Crayola and hello to Prismacolor!

So here's most likely one of the last Crayola projects. Yet one more piece of childhood to let go, hey? I ended up getting a box of Prismacolor pencils, which I hear high praise of everywhere, and a box of Koh-I-Noor woodless colored pencils, which I have never heard of before. Both feel great to work with!

So here is the fox picture. I plan on selling this one, and when I decide on a pricing system for colored pencils I will post that as well.



So, my first thing with the Prismacolors was a leopard eye study. I had a look at an online tutorial by big cat artist Christina Langman and decided to play around with a few colors. This woman's colored pencil artwork has floored me on a few occasions, so my work is nothing in the light of hers, but I was pretty impressed with myself, given my first-time attempt!



Once again, thank you Christina for the tutorial!

5 comments:

  1. Girl! you just keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eye just seems to have an 'icy' feeling to it's stare. Kind of eerie in a way, but definately a look that one of the large cats would have. You nailed it there Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's all in the arch up top. Every inch of a cat seems to have a curved grace to it, and their "brow" seems to be the most famous for it.

    Thank you for the compliment =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that you are working in Prismacolors - they are fantastic! The eye you did looks great! Thanks so much for the compliments on my work, and for those who are interested in trying the tutorial themselves, it can be found at http://www.BigCatArt.com/CPtutorial

    Best of luck to you in your artistic endeavors! :)

    ReplyDelete